Sunday, March 29, 2015

How can relying on the Savior’s grace help me become a better teacher?

Is there anything we have talked about in past weeks that I didn’t explain well that you have questions about?

What have you learned in personal gospel study this week?

Have you had any interesting gospel conversations with friends or family this week?

How can relying on the Savior’s grace help me become a better teacher?

What is grace?

Grace is the enabling power of the atonement

We may sometimes experience feelings of inadequacy or feelings that we aren't good at something we are trying to do.  If we humble ourselves and admit we can't do it alone, we can exercise faith in Jesus Christ. He can help us with any struggle.

We all have things we could be stronger in our better at. If we follow the Savior's commandments and also ask him to help us then he week enable us to be better. Enabling us to be better is called grace.

As we have talked about before the commandments aren't to limit what we can do, but what are they for?

They are to show us how things really work to be successful in life.   So part of grace is his instructions on how to have a successful life. Those instructions tell us how to draw on the power of the atonement to fully have the grace of God enable us to be better.

Does that make sense? Anyone have anything they would like to add? Does anyone have any questions so far?

Elder David A Bednar,  In the Strength of the Lord, Ensign November 2004
"Brothers and sisters, please pay particular attention to the word grace as it is used in the verse I just read. In the Bible Dictionary we learn that the word grace frequently is used in the scriptures to connote a strengthening or enabling power:
"'The main idea of the word is divine means of help or strength, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ.
"'… It is likewise through the grace of the Lord that individuals, through faith in the atonement of Jesus Christ and repentance of their sins, receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means. This grace is an enabling power that allows men and women to lay hold on eternal life and exaltation after they have expended their own best efforts' (p. 697).
"Thus, the enabling and strengthening aspect of the Atonement helps us to see and to do and to become good in ways that we could never recognize or accomplish with our limited mortal capacity. I testify and witness that the enabling power of the Savior’s Atonement is real. Without that strengthening power of the Atonement, I could not stand before you this morning."
Grace Is An Enabling Power.
10 ¶ And Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?
Alma 26:12
 12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

2 Nephi 25:23
 23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

God’s grace enables us to be saved after we have done everything we can.  We keep the commandments and repent when we have not and then God’s grace bridges the gap between us and God.  It also gives you strength to keep commandments we struggle with and gives us abilities to do things we never thought we could.

How would you encourage friends are feeling inadequate?  Perhaps they have had sins they need to repent of.  Perhaps they have a calling that they are having trouble doing.  Perhaps they are having trouble with their school work.  Perhaps they are having trouble with their testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment